2019 2D Art CALL
DEADLINE // MARCH 15, 2019
Bastrop, TX is a unique blend of old and new. Nestled on the banks of the Colorado River in the heart of the Lost Pines region, the Bastrop historic district offers a delightful selection of shops, restaurants and inns. Nearby neighborhoods have over 100 registered historic homes, many beautifully restored. A Texas Main Street City since 2007, Bastrop was also named a Distinctive Destination in 2010 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in recognition of the City’s work to preserve its historic character, promote heritage tourism and extend its welcome. Bastrop is a designated Cultural Arts District by the Texas Art Commission.
The 2019 Bastrop 2-Dimensional Art Project is an annual program of the Bastrop Art in Public Places Board (BAIPP) and the City of Bastrop. The BAIPP 2-D Show is in its third year and was adopted to adorn the City of Bastrop’s public buildings with original art. This highly visible and accessible 2-D Art exhibition will serve as an art destination for the residents of Bastrop County and Central Texas, as well as visitors to the area. The 2-D Art Project submissions will be selected for the show through a juried process, cash prize Awards will be given at an Awards Event and selected artwork will be on loan to be installed in Bastrop public buildings for one full year.
Submission Opening: February 1, 2019
Submission Deadline: March 15, 2019 by 5:00PM
2019 Call for Entries
You are invited to submit your 2-D art to be displayed for the year-long public exhibit. The following criteria are required:
1. The 2-D Art Project call is open in regards to theme and will include three categories:
Painting, drawing and printmaking
Multimedia: media including but not limited to; textile, wood, collage, mosaic, metal, etc.
2. No reproductions of original art will be accepted. The framed size must be between 4 to 16 sq. feet. Please note that larger exhibit spaces are more abundant than the smaller spaces at this time. The call is open to all artists without geographic distinctions or restrictions. Art content must be family friendly as it will be displayed in a community facility.
3. Artwork must be professionally presented and ready to hang with appropriate hardware, i.e. D-rings and wire, dowels, framed, matted. No saw tooth hangers.
4. Unframed, stretched canvas (fully-wrapped canvas only) will be accepted if the sides are painted and no staples are visible and canvas or other cradle substrates must be a minimum depth of 1 ½ “
5. BAIPP reserves the right to reject any piece at the time of delivery if the framing or presentation is not professional in appearance.
6. The 2-D Art Project artworks will be on loan for one calendar year (refer to 2-D Art Calendar) in public buildings such as City Hall, the Public Library, and the Convention Center. The public can view the art during posted hours of operation for each location. To view the public buildings visit: www.cityofbastrop.org.
7. Pending available funds, and approval by the City, BAIPP may purchase one or more sculptures to be added to the City’s permanent collection.
8. The 2-D art will not be removed or “for sale” during the exhibit. If a piece sells it will need to remain for the duration of the exhibit. All sales will be transacted between the artist and the buyer.
Each artist may submit up to two original 2-D artworks for consideration. A high resolution digital photograph of no more than 2MB per image is required to be juried, as well as, for use in marketing collateral to include by not limited to: websites, social media and print. Please note that the quality of the photograph can influence the jury process. We encourage including a second photograph of a close-up or detail area of the piece. Please be sure to fill out the Entry Form and your artist interpretation on the Bio Sheet and upload your photos. You will receive a confirmation email.
Selection will be done by a blind jurying process by a pool of jurors chosen by BAIPP. The judging for awards will be done after the installation of the 2-D art by another blind panel of jurors. Prizes will be awarded:
$750.00 - First Place in each category
$500.00 – Second Place in each category
$200.00 – Third Place in each category
$1000.00 - Best of Show (this award cannot be given to a First, Second or Third Place winner)
Thirty (30) pieces of art will be chosen as semi-finalists from the digital jurying process and the artists will be notified on April 4th - 5th. The thirty semi-final artworks will be delivered in person for a final jurying on April 13th at 11:00a.m. Bastrop City Hall, 1311 Chestnut Street, Bastrop, Texas. Sixteen (16) final artworks will then be selected for the 2-D Art Project while the artists enjoy a luncheon and tour of the Lost Pines Art Center at 1204 Chestnut Street. Pieces not selected for the Art Project will return home. BAIPP will not accept or return art through the mail or other carrier, such as UPS or Fed-Ex. Insurance against damage, theft and the elements will be the responsibility of the City of Bastrop.
Artist is responsible for art delivery and pickup on dates specified. Artwork not picked up without prior arrangements made 7 days in advance through Andrea Haschke (512-545-6312) or Marlene Outlaw (512-966-1862) will be deemed abandoned. If artist is not picking up works(s), a signed statement or email from the artist with the name of the person picking up the work is required.
All artists selected to exhibit an art piece will be required to sign an Artist’s Agreement with the City of Bastrop that will detail the rights and responsibilities of all parties related to staging, installation , security, materials, liability and removal, etc. All selected artists will need to complete a W-9 Form.
Cumulative annual income of awards and sales of goods provided to individual artists, which reach the minimum amount based on IRS Regulations, will result in a 1099-Misc income tax report provided to the artist and IRS according to IRS regulations.
2019 Important Dates
February 1st - Opening for Artist Call for Submission(s)
March 15 by 5:00p.m. - Deadline for Submission(s)
April 4th -5th - Email Notification of selected artworks for jurying in Bastrop
April 13th @ 11:00a.m
In-person jurying for Art Project at Bastrop City Hall
*selected artworks will remain and be on display in Bastrop for one year and unselected pieces will return home.
Artist Luncheon and Lost Pines Art Center tour
Completion of W-9 Form and sign Artist’s Agreement by artists selected to exhibit.
May 25 @ 11:00 a.m. - Announcement of Award Winners and Art Celebration Event at Bastrop Convention Center
For artist or event information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Andrea Haschke 512-545-6312 or Marlene Outlaw 512-966-1862. As your submission is received you will receive an email confirmation. Thank you for your interest in our call.